Wednesday, March 14, 2007

ISTE

Regarding input devices (mouse, keyboard, remote control) and output devices (monitor, printer,etc.), I would break the objectives down, agreeing with other teachers about what is developmentally appropriate for each grade K-2.
After talking with my class about what information we put into the computer as input and output as what comes back to us out of the computer, I would teach one input and one output device each day for kindergarten. I would show a real picture of the each device I am talking about, have the children repeat the name of each device after me as I held up the word, then put the the picture and word together and read the word once more. Next, I would ask the name and sound of the beginning of the letter of the device. Finally, I'd have one child place the word and picture on the actual part of the computer (with tape). Then we'd sing a simple song that repeated the instruction taught. F0r example, the mouse moves the curser, (repeat), high-ho-the computer-o- the mouse moves the curser. Furthermore, the same song could be used with the monitor shows us the picture (on the computer screen).

Our school has many English Language Learners; as a result it is super important to use visuals, chants, and even body movements. These ideas are helpful to all learners - not just ELL learners. Our last item to add would be the body movements to the song, This would also add interest to the song, adding another mode of learning to those already in operation in the song.

Next, I would let the kids experience each of the real objects on the computer. I would work with a small group - probably three students at a time with the youngest students. (T he large group would be involved with an assistant and a volunteer.

When using a variety of media and technology resources for directed learning, I would use the programs that come with our curriculum-- Bridges for math and Reading First for Language Arts (these programs support, and review, previous learning). If time, I would introduce starfall.com which has sounds, movement, and songs for the alphabet and much more.

After we had worked so in small groups on computers, next I would introduce a proogram by the entire group listening and watching. Then, if we were in the computer lab, I would have
students work collaboratively and cooperatively in pairs. Finally, I would let each child try at once (on their own computer). I would have a roving assistant, and volunteers if available, help me answer any questions they had.

Students would show positive use of the computers through "wait time", especially by not giving the computer a second command before the appropriate wait time is achieved. Ethical behavior in kindergarten would be to get along with your "working partner" and be "gentle and respond slowly by waiting for the computer to think".

In summary, it's important to choose developmentally appropriate objectives for our youngest students. Another important consideration is using as many of the 5 senses to learn-- especially visuals, chants, songs, and movements. Last, using software that is part of our curriculum is a must.

No comments: